I know there are quite a few adventures missing from my page.... not to worry, they will get their chance!
A special adventure, just recent, is worthy of being posted now. I finally snowshoed my way to McGillivary Lake!
Since its off season, and there is NO-ONE around, I packed the pre-requisite food, water and warm clothes for a hike alone in the alpine. Someone knew of my plans, when to expect my return, and when they should call 911, so Mum, don't panic!
I set out with my snowshoes on from my house on Burfield Drive, taking the Valley View snowshoe trail above Fairways Drive toward the Village.
| View of Burfield lift, Expo on Mt Tod, from above Mountain View Drive |
| Mt Tod, from Fairways skiback/snowshoe trail |
| Morrisey Quad, view up Showboat run. Don't be fooled by the snow - ski season is actually OVER. Thats why I'm snowshoeing...... |
| Putting Green, 11th Hole of the golf course. They removed the bulk of the snow late February, to start preparations for play in June. |
| Start of McGillivary Lake Cabin Trail for snowshoers |
| Early elevation gain on trail |
| Yours Truly! All eager to keep on following the blue flagging tape to the lake. |
Then I found this paw print...
| Paws for concern? No claw marks, so its most likely feline.....I didn't want confirmation! |
After this, I turned my iPod off.....I wanted to listen to the great outdoors!
| Undressed for Winter |
| Pussy Willows |
| My Destination |
So, it took me 1h15m on the Lake trail, not too shabby. Its just me out here, time to unwind and slow the pace right down...
| My Feast Homemade scones, chedder cheese and a zesty Merlot. Cheers! |
| My View - Snow on ice covered McGillivary Lake. |
| The warming hut. Open during winter, it has picnic tables and a gas powered heater inside. |
| Sun Peaks most remote toilet. I wasn't sure why it was out here? Then, I turned around slightly - and found Little McGillivary Lake. |
Which I walked across to re-connect with the Cabin Return snowshoe trail. I had been following the cross country ski trails for about 500m, but decided here to head back onto the snowshoe trail.
| Yes - I walked over the little lake! |
| Some of the return snowshoe trail is shared with the Dog Sled Teams. |
| I did about 14km of walking in 5h, plus breaks, by the time I returned home this day. Amazing scenery, crisp alpine air, fresh blisters and REALLY sore shoulders from carrying my pack. |
And, the lasting view for the end of my day....
| Mt Tod Sunset, April 23rd 2011, from 16th hole of Golf Course. |
Very Special Thanks to C & M Cannon for loaning me a pair of their snowshoes.
Very Special Thanks to JH for being my contact point in the village, keeping me safe.
WOW!!! How beautiful are your photos!! And a freaking bear print?? I would have hot tailed it back to my house!! I am so impressed with the 14klms in 5 hours!! I think I would be dead : ) Looking forward to seeing what else you've been up to!! Oh - it's getting alittle nippy over here - we're down to about 15 degrees at night ; P !!!
ReplyDelete